Monday, September 26, 2011

We Take Too Much For Granted

grantedI've said this before in the past, yet how soon we forget, but we take so much for granted in life. Why does it always take some major event to put things into a proper perspective, and focus our minds on what's really important in our lives. What bothers me more is that even when moments like that occur, they seem to be short lived for the most part. Life has a way of sweeping you back up and carrying you along, just like nothing ever really happened, which is when we find ourselves once more taking way too much for granted day to day.

For those that have been reading this blog, J had surgery last week, and it was the longest nine hours I've ever experienced in my life. That nine hours was filled with long periods of reflection, and the realization of how much she really means to me. Yes she's my wife, but again, I've taken a lot of who she is and what she does in our relationship for granted. I can't even begin to describe the feeling of being in a black holed limbo while the surgery was taking place, but it was to say the least an emotional rollercoaster that I hope to never experience again any time soon. Anyway, the surgery went smoothly, but took a few more hours than expected. She is now recovering, which is a process that will take at minimum three more weeks.

Which kind of brings me back to taking things for granted, because with J laid up it means that my butt will not be receiving any punishment for a while. We knew this was coming, but I didn't realize how much I would miss it, and yes as I type that I'm mentally cringing at the thought. Why would you miss something that hurts so much, and is a punishment? The only real answer that I can come up with is that it seems to bring me emotionally closer to J, which is something that I've discussed in the past. I don't really miss the pain, but I miss how it seems to re-center me, and draw me closer to J afterwards. A necessary evil if you like.

The other problem here is that my brain seems to have twigged onto the fact that my butt is pretty safe right now, and I've caught myself on a couple of occasions, for want of a better word, bratting and sassing J. I know that it's not something that I would do if she wasn't in recovery right now, because she would beat my buns black and blue for sure. Granted, I can hear the little voice in the back of my mind whispering a warning, to the effect of 'keep it up buddy, she'll be recovered soon enough, and she will roast your ass big time.'

Still not sure where J is on the FLR aspects that we meddled with a little prior to her surgery, but that twinkle in her eye and the tone of voice seems to indicate that she means to pick up where we left off - once she has recovered. It seems pretty clear that she intends to keep up with the DD side of our relationship, as for the rest we'll just have to see. I've had some more thoughts on the whole thing, but I'll save those for my next post.

2 comments:

  1. The past few weeks have been a rollercoaster for us and I would like to add my voice in saying sorry we haven't been posting much. Taken has had a lot on his plate since I've been laid up. I, of course, despise being out of commission but my body needs to heal so I am grateful to him for picking up the slack. I know he has been anxious about the surgery and all it entailed. So have I. Unfortunately Taken's way of releasing that anxiety is extremely annoying. I had to give him a small attitude adjustment this morning because I am sick of the sassy mouth. He has mistakenly thought that I was incapable of calling him out on it but I took it slowly and watched how my stiches felt as I doled out his punishment so I was *just* fine (insert evil smirk here)

    Even though I have been preoccupied with my health I can certainly see the difference DD has made to this family and I have no intention of giving up this tool that I have gained. I hope that Taken will begin to blow off his anxiety in a healthier way that bratting around. It certainly makes life more pleasant when I don't have the headache of him being a PITA. Yesterday was a prime example of that...I am having a mionr complication and had to go see the doctor which led to going to the hoispital for a blood draw. I have extremely skinny veins and I always end up feeling like a pin cushion when they draw blood. By the time I was done it was after 6pm and I was worn out. I was in no mood to put up with Taken's little verbal sparring and told him so in no uncertain terms but he had to get in that last little dig. I was too worn out last night to do anything but this morning was another story (insert another smirk here)

    I still am thinking about the FLR thing and I'm not sure where I am ok with it going. I think we will just have to make it up as we go along. Life is good at the moment though and I hope this morning's reminder will put Taken back on track to being the wonderful husband I know he can be. Love you bunches Sweetie....Mrs J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs J- Sincere best wishes for your fast and complete recovery!
    Hope you both get what you need from FLR...and clearly, Taken needs his punishment regardless!! :)

    ReplyDelete